Vocabulary For Dummies (Dummies)
Someone just called you captious. Should you be flattered? Considering your extreme lactose intolerance, is it a good idea to order veau au béchamel from a French menu? Calumny is to slander as obloquy is to a) flattery, b) sermon, or c) invective? You’ve just heard that your new boss is a real martinet, should you be worried or excited about an attractive new addition to your workplace?
Your boyfriend says you have no élan, is he telling you you’re all out of yogurt? Starting to wish you’d paid more attention in English class? Don’t worry, it’s never too late to develop a million dollar vocabulary—and Vocabulary For Dummies offers you a fast, fun and easy way to do it.
Whether you’re facing standardized tests, or you want to feel more knowledgeable at work or more comfortable in social situations, this book is for you. In no time you’ll:
- Dramatically expand your vocabulary
- Speak with style
- Write with panache
- Make a better impression a work or school
- Dine out with confidence
- Have the right words for formal occasions and ethnic events
- Get more out of what you read
Vocabulary For Dummies doesn’t overwhelm you with endless word lists. Instead, it gives you a complete vocabulary-building program that familiarizes you with words from all areas of life as they’re used in context—from bar mitzvahs to business meetings, PCs to politics—with a host of fun features, including:
- Word tables organized by common features, such as language of origin, professional or social contexts, similarities, and more
- Sample conversations incorporate new terms and define related ones
- Before-and-After examples show how to replace old, general terms with new specific vocabulary
- Pointers reinforce understanding with examples of correct and incorrect usage
- Chapters on terms from finance, law, medicine, eating and shopping, history and mythology, various languages, and more
Vocabulary For Dummies makes it easier than ever for you to get a handle on difficult words and get ahead at school, at work, and in life.